Greening Initiatives and Organizations
CCA Greening Committee:
- Activities: Organizes the annual CCA Yard and Plant Sale, maintains the green space at the corner of Carling and Merivale and co-ordinates spring/autumn park-cleaning.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to offer ideas and suggestions or if you wish to volunteer.
- Recent New Initiatives:
- Related Information:
Encouraging Pollinator Gardens
The CCA recognizes the importance of increasing natural habitat within Carlington (and elsewhere) and would like to encourage residents to consider making part of their property pollinator-friendly.
The Internet has lots of information on this subject; we have curated here some information around frequently-asked questions: Carlington Loves Pollinators.
Note: Many links are from Berit Erickson’s wonderful website. A local resident who started a tiny native plant patch in her yard now shares her knowledge and experience in her website: The Corner Pollinator Garden and Wildlife Habitat. Or you can download her brochure for an overview.
Resources for Increasing Carlington’s Tree Canopy:
Did you know that you can get a street tree (i.e., between the street and your home) for FREE? The City of Ottawa is committed to increasing its tree cover: Tree Planting. Information on choosing tree size and tree species (native species are recommended) is available at: Trees of Kitchissippi and Trees Canadensis: Growing Trees in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec.
Before you cut down a tree, learn about the City of Ottawa’s Tree Protection By-Law.
Carlington-based Green Information and Organizations:
- Parks and Green Spaces: Information on Carlington’s green spaces and related initiatives.
- Friends of Carlington Park: They work with the Hampton-Iona Community Group on common green issues. The two groups publish a joint newsletter; sign up at CarlingtonHampton@gmail.com.
- Friends of the Central Experimental Farm: Preserve, protect, maintain and enhance the public areas of the Farm.
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden: How to create wildlife-friendly habitat and gardens, emphasizing native plants.
Ottawa-based Green Organizations:
- EnviroCentre: Their activities and programs focus on four main areas: green homes, green transportation, green lifestyles and green business.
- Future Homes Ottawa: Funded in part by the Ottawa Climate Action Fund, and in partnership with the City of Ottawa, this program is meant to raise community awareness around deep retrofits, improve the supports in place for homeowners who want to complete a retrofit, and support the creation of neighbourhood demonstration projects where local residents can learn from their neighbours about the realities of a deep retrofit project. Carlington is one of two Ottawa neighbourhoods chosen for the neighbourhood demonstration projects.
- Ecology Ottawa: Provides information and tools needed to understand local environmental issues and promotes environmental leadership at all levels impacting the City of Ottawa.
- Green Ottawa Directory: A volunteer-run organization that consolidates everything green/sustainable/eco-friendly/renewable/natural/organic in Ottawa. Whether for fun, work, politics or profit — how to get connected? Green Ottawa was created to do just that.
See all issues
Carlington Hampton Newsletter
Latest news on parks and greening…
Sunday, May 28 at 1:30 p.m. at the Dominion Arboretum. Free, but registration is required and limited.
Ecology Ottawa is giving away 20,000 tree seedlings on September 15, from 3:45 to 8:00 p.m. at the Churchill Senior’s Centre on Richmond Road.
Watch “Encanto” on Thursday, August 4. Outdoor dinner from 6:00 to 11;00 p.m. at 1465 Caldwell Avenue. All are welcome! Free snacks, food, door prizes and more.
Come for the CCA’s free BBQ. It’s also Wading Pool Day, with various activities available for kids. In the evening, enjoy Shakespeare in the Park’s The Tempest with the Company of Fools.
A huge Thank-You goes out to all who participated this year to raise over $800 for activities and programs within the Carlington area.