Resources, Activities and Programs
One of the Ottawa Street Market family of farmer’s markets, the Carlington Street Market allows you to shop local from the comfort of your home. There are 40+ very local vendors selling fruit and vegetables, local products and crafts.
- Pick up your order on Saturdays 11:00-11:30 a.m at the Carlington Coffee House (917 Merivale Road) or have it delivered ($8-$10 flat fee).
- Subscribe to the newsletter to get to know the vendors and stay up-to-date on market news.
- Caldwell Family Centre (Map): Drop-in centre, food bank, meals and snacks, cooking programs, baby supplies and toy library for kids 1-4 years, school backpack program, after-school program, summer day camp, clothing program, sewing program.
- Carlington Community Chaplaincy (Map) Program schedule: Range of hospitality and arts-based programs for Carlington residents, daily drop-in (Monday to Friday), cooking classes, special-interest classes and groups, pastoral care
- Ottawa Mission Food Truck. 1180 Shillington Avenue (Map): Free hot meals, available from 2:30 to 3:30, second and fourth Monday of each month
Food Security and Availability
- Good Food on the Move: Order fresh fruit and vegetables online weekly from Wednesday 9:00 a.m. to Monday 9:00 a.m. Pick up your order the following Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. at 1290 Coldrey Avenue (Carlington Community Health Centre: Map). Phone orders also accepted. Home Delivery: $20.
- Ottawa Mission Food Truck: Pick up free hot meals, available 3:00 to 4:00 p.m., the second and fourth Monday of each month, at 1180 Shillington Avenue (Map)
- Grocery Boxes: Access grocery food boxes Tuesday to Thursday (8:00 to 4:00 p.m.), Friday (8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) and Saturday (9:00 to 2:00 p.m.) from the Caldwell Family Centre (Map).
- Healthy Meals: Breakfast from 8:00 to 9:30 a.m. and Lunch from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m., served at the Bellevue Community Centre (Map).
- Quickie Convenience Store, 1435 Caldwell Avenue (Map): Ottawa Public Health has designated this convenience store as a “Good Food Corner Store” which means that it sells a good selection of fruits and vegetables.
- Municipal: Riley Brockington, City Councillor for River Ward 16. He attends CCA General Meetings to give updates (see the Documents page for the latest ones).
- Chandra Pasma, M.P.P. (NDP) for Ottawa West-Nepean (west of Merivale)
- Joel Harden, M.P.P. (NDP) for Ottawa Centre (east of Merivale)
- Carlington Community Health Centre, 1290 Coldrey Avenue (Map).
- Subscribe to the weekly CCHC newletter to be informed of all their activities.
- Parent and child programs, 1-6 years
- Homework clubs, after-school program
- Teen counseling and advocacy
- Senior exercise programs, senior choir
- Primary health care, crisis support, harm reduction services, employment aid/support, free dental services
- Housing support and financial assistance for utilities
- Free and confidential counseling for individuals or families
- Good Food Box (buying fruit/vegetables in bulk)
- The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue (Map)
- Ottawa Public Library Bookmobile:
- Ottawa Public Library Service for the Homebound: Free delivery of library materials to individual homes, retirement residences and long-term care facilities.
- Carlington’s Mini Libraries (Map)
- Closest branches of the Ottawa Public Library:
Parks and Green Spaces
Not only does Carlington border on the Experimental Farm on two sides, it is blessed with many parks and green spaces as well. Carlington has:
- Several city parks with various amenities (Map).
- The “Triangle” at Merivale and Carling: the garden is maintained by CCA volunteers.
- Carlington Woods and Clyde Woods, forests to the south of Carlington with the NCC pathway running through them, are environmentally protected.
- Carlington Community Garden: Located at corner of Woodward Avenue and McBride Street (map). For information on getting a plot, contact them at: email@example.com
- Clyde Bee & Butterfly Patch (iNaturalist): a wild plant pollinator garden maintained by volunteers.
Also check out the CCA’s Greening page. The CCA is focusing on increasing tree cover and pollinator gardens in Carlington.
- Bike Repair Station, close to Alexander Community Centre (map)
- Carlington Online Street Market: Part of Ottawa Street Markets, featuring local farmers’ market vendors. Pick up your order on Saturdays (11:00 to 11:30 a.m.) at the Carlington Coffee House (917 Merivale Road).
- Computer Café: Access to computers, Wi-Fi and a printer available from Monday to Friday, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Caldwell Family Centre, 1475 Caldwell Avenue (map).
- Communauto (car-sharing): Carlington location: Best Western (1274 Carling Avenue at Merivale)
- Special deals with OC Transpo and VIA Rail for combined car-sharing and public transportation.
- Members also have access to car-sharing networks in Gatineau, Kingston, Toronto, Waterloo/Hamilton, Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke.
- Pet Resource Bank Ottawa: Keeps people and their pets together during difficult times, services include: food, information, supplies and grooming, etc.
- Ottawa Outdoor Gear Library (Map): A non-profit, volunteer-driven organization whose goal is to enable more people to enjoy the benefits of being active outdoors, and to reduce barriers to access nature in the City. Fees are pay-as-you-can.
- Ottawa Tool Library (Map): A non-profit organization that provides tools, expertise and a workspace for projects. You can borrow tools to bring home or work on your project in their workspace. Subscribe to their newsletter to find out about free events such as Repair Cafés, Demo Nights and Workshops for all ages. Their Tinkering School teaches tool skills to children age 8-12.
Spongy Moth Mitigation
Spongy moth is an invasive insect also known as the “LDD moth” (from its Latin name). Their populations are cyclical; every 7 to 10 years, there are outbreaks that noticeably defoliate trees during the caterpillar stage of the lifecycle. Please see the City of Ottawa’s Spongy Moth (LDD) information on how to protect your trees. Also available as PDFs: Spongy Moth Fact Sheet, Burlap Installation and Egg Mass Removal.