Veterans' Housing Character Area
Carlington North Veterans’ Housing Character Area
In 2019, City staff were asked to conduct additional heritage study analysis of the veterans’ housing subdivisions in Carlington North. In 2021, a heritage study was developed and started. Staff conducted research, documentation and community engagement to learn about the subdivisions and in order to determine appropriate heritage conservation mechanisms. They presented their findings to the city, and gave five recommendations. On May 11, 2022, City Council approved the creation of the Character Area. An associated heritage strategy ensures that the historical significance of the area is recognized and remembered.
- May 2022 Report (The five recommendations of the study can be found at the beginning of this document.)
- Document 1: Map
- Document 2: History and development of veterans’ housing
- Document 3: Veteran’s Housing Character Area: Guidelines and context
- Document 4: As We Heard It Report – October 2021
- Document 5: As We Heard It Report – Winter 2022
What impact does this heritage status have on the subdivisions?
The Guidelines and context document gives guidelines to manage change in the area, as well as assist property owners if they wish to build additions or new infill housing. It also addresses conservation issues for the area.