Veterans' Housing HeritageStudy
Carlington North Veterans’ Housing Heritage Study
2019: City staff are asked to conduct additional heritage study analysis of the veterans’ housing subdivisions in Carlington North.
2021: A heritage study was developed and started in 2021. Staff conducted research, documentation and community engagement to learn about the subdivisions and in order to determine appropriate heritage conservation mechanisms.
May 2022: The report of the study findings and recommendations was presented to the Built Heritage Sub-Committee and Council. There are five recommendations to be approved. The creation of a Veterans’ Housing Character Area and an associated heritage strategy would ensure that the historical significance of the area is recognized and remembered.
Date to be determined: Response of the Built Heritage Sub-Committee and Council.
- May 2022 Report (The five recommendations of the study can be found at the beginning of this document.)
- Document 1: Map
- Document 2: History and development of veterans’ housing
- Document 3: Veteran’s Housing Character Area: Guidelines and context
- Document 4: As We Heard It Report – October 2021
- Document 5: As We Heard It Report – Winter 2022
What impact would heritage status have on the subdivisions?
The Guidelines and context document gives guidelines to manage change in the area, as well as assist property owners if they wish to build additions or new infill housing. It also addresses conservation issues for the area.