Activities, Programs & Resources
Our website is intended to be a useful way for you to find out everything there is to know about what Carlington has to offer all residents. Follow us on social media and/or sign up for the CCA newsletter to keep up-to-date on these and new resources.
- Alexander Community Centre
- Bike Repair Station
- Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
- CCA Events (Carlington Cup, Family Fun Day, Yard and Plant Sale)
- Carlington Arts Initiative
- Carlington Recreation Centre
- Carlington Community Chaplaincy
- Community Garden
- Community Health Centre
- City Councillor Meetings
- Good Food Corner Store Initiative
- J.A. Dulude Arena
- Mini Library
- Mobile Market Ottawa
- Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
- VRTUcar (car-sharing)
Alexander Community Centre
960 Silver Street | 613.798.8978 | email: Alexander@ottawa.ca
- Mini-library (just outside front door)
- Wide range of programs for children and youth, many free.
- after school programs, homework club
- computer and homework room,
- various sports and leagues, summer camps.
- Programs for adults and seniors
- Has a variety of rooms to rent, each with a 46-inch flat screen television and surround sound system. The spacious main hall seats 100 and has an attached kitchen.
Bike Repair Station
Located in Alexander Park, close to Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver St.
- Includes a stand for your bike, tools to help change a tire, patch a tire and pump up your tires
Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
Location 1: Tuesdays, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., 1520 Caldwell Avenue
Location 2: Wednesdays, 2:15-3:00 p.m., Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver St.
- Books, DVDs, magazines and more
- Pick up your Hold items
- Return/borrow material
- Get or renew a Library card
- Material in French, English and other…
Carlington Arts Initiative
Based in the Carlington area, CAI is a hub for many creative groups organizing arts-related activities, which include crafts, painting, music, dance, yoga — anything and everything.
- Participation in events is free, or on a pay-what-you-can basis, for Carlington residents.
- If you participate in an art-related activity, contact CAI to find like-minded individuals.
Carlington Recreation Centre
1520 Caldwell Avenue | 613.798.8920
- Before- and after-school programs
- March break camps
- Summer camps
- Children’s and youth programs
Carlington Community Chaplaincy
102-1465 Caldwell Avenue | 613.728.9933 | http://www.carlingtonchaplaincy.com/
- Provides a range of hospitality and arts-based programs for residents in Carlington
- Daily drop-in (Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- A studio space for artists
- Cooking classes
- Special-interest classes and groups
Carlington Community Garden
- Located at corner of Woodward Avenue and McBride Street
- More plots will be built in the near future.
Carlington Community Health Centre
Subscribe to the CCHC newletter to be informed of all their activities. (Note: the CCHC’s catchment area includes more neighbourhoods than just Carlington.)
- Parent and child programs, 1-6 years
- Homework clubs, after-school program
- Teen counselling and advocacy
- Senior exercise programs, senior choir
- Primary health care
- Crisis support
- Harm reduction services
- Housing support and financial assistance for utilities
- Free and confidential counselling for individuals or families
- Good Food Box (buying fruit/vegetables in bulk)
- Employment aid/support
City Councillor Meetings
Riley Brockington (https://rileybrockington.ca/) is the City Councillor for River Ward, which Carlington is a part of. He appears frequently at CCA meetings and also regularly holds other meetings to update Carlington residents on current and future development projects, changes to local roads and transit routes, etc.
He writes reports about issues in Carlington; we post them as soon as we receive them.
Good Food Corner Store Initiative
Quickie Convenience Store, 1435 Caldwell Avenue
- Ottawa Public Health has designated this convenience store as a “Good Food Corner Store” which means that it sells a good selection of fruits and vegetables.
J.A. Dulude Arena
941 Clyde Avenue | 613.798.1716
- Ice hockey
Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver Street
- Built by local residents, this mini-library is on a Take-One-Leave-One basis.
Mobile Market Ottawa
Caldwell Gymnasium, 1520 Caldwell Avenue | 613.580.2424, ex. 32629
- Every second Thursday, from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
- Schedule: http://www.marketmobileottawa.ca/schedule
- Cash or debit accepted
- Bring your own shopping bags.
Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
- Volunteers help keep people and their pets together during difficult times.
- Their services include: food, information, supplies and grooming.
- They have a list of pet-related links and emergency phone numbers.
- Gain access to a fleet of cars across Ottawa: reserve at a low cost for a half-hour, an hour, a day or longer. The cars are available 24/7. Take them to the local grocery store or anywhere in North America!
- Carlington location: Best Western (1274 Carling Avenue at Merivale)
- Special deals with OC Transpo and VIA Rail for combined car-sharing and public transportation.
- Members also have access to car-sharing networks in Gatineau, Kingston, Toronto, Waterloo/Hamilton, Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke.
Three ways to always keep up-to-date on the latest events and activities:
1. Follow us:
2. CCA Monthly Newsletter:
3. Bookmark this page and check it often.
Recent Blog Posts...
Free 3-week cooking class starting in April at Alexander Community Centre. Registration required.read more
For kids, there are after-school programs, sports drop-in, summer camps. For adults and for adults 50-plus, various fitness programs.read more
Saturday, March 30, at the Alexander Community Centre. Share a meal and (free) Paint with Selina.read more
Thursday, March 28, 2019, at the Bellevue Community Centre. Bring your concerns about Carlington to the attention of the Carlington’s City Councillor.read more
As previously stated, the main topic for the meeting will be the Merivale Main Street Project. To be held at the Alexander Community Centre. Come early to see the plans.read more
Free youth photography workshops on Saturdays from mid-February to the end of March at the Alexander Community Centre. Register before February 15th!read more
A free recreational Ultimate Frisbee league with professional coaches, starting in May.read more
Saturdays mornings in February and March at the Alexander Community Centre. Free for kids age 6-12.read more
This past weekend, Carlington residents, friends and families played shinny hockey to compete for the 2019 Carlington Cup.read more
Thursday evenings, starting February 7th, at the Alexander Community Centre. Registration required.read more
Four city councillors will be on hand on Saturday, January 30, at the Jim Durrell Recreation Centre for a high-level budget presentation.read more
City Councillor Riley Brockington is presenting one of his free movie nights, with hotdogs, popcorn and juice available.read more