Activities, Programs & Resources
Our website is intended to be a useful way for you to find out everything there is to know about what Carlington has to offer all residents. Follow us on social media and/or sign up for the CCA newsletter to keep up-to-date on these and new resources.
- Alexander Community Centre
- Bike Repair Station
- Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
- CCA Events (Carlington Cup, Family Fun Day, Yard and Plant Sale)
- Carlington Recreation Centre
- Carlington Community Chaplaincy
- Community Garden
- Community Health Centre
- City Councillor Meetings
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Available Locally
- J.A. Dulude Arena
- Mini Library
- Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
- VRTUcar (car-sharing)
Alexander Community Centre
960 Silver Street | 613.798.8978 | email: Alexander@ottawa.ca
- Mini-library (just outside front door)
- Wide range of programs for children and youth, many free.
- after school programs, homework club
- computer and homework room,
- various sports and leagues, summer camps.
- Programs for adults and seniors
- Has a variety of rooms to rent, each with a 46-inch flat screen television and surround sound system. The spacious main hall seats 100 and has an attached kitchen.
Bike Repair Station
Located in Alexander Park, close to Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver St.
- Includes a stand for your bike, tools to help change a tire, patch a tire and pump up your tires
Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
Location 1: Tuesdays, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., 1520 Caldwell Avenue
Location 2: Wednesdays, 2:15-3:00 p.m., Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver St.
- Books, DVDs, magazines and more
- Pick up your Hold items
- Return/borrow material
- Get or renew a Library card
- Material in French, English and other…
Carlington Recreation Centre
1520 Caldwell Avenue | 613.798.8920
- Before- and after-school programs
- March break camps
- Summer camps
- Children’s and youth programs
Carlington Community Chaplaincy
102-1465 Caldwell Avenue | 613.728.9933 | http://www.carlingtonchaplaincy.com/
- Provides a range of hospitality and arts-based programs for residents in Carlington
- Daily drop-in (Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- A studio space for artists
- Cooking classes
- Special-interest classes and groups
Carlington Community Garden
- Located at corner of Woodward Avenue and McBride Street
- More plots will be built in the near future.
Carlington Community Health Centre
Subscribe to the CCHC newletter to be informed of all their activities. (Note: the CCHC’s catchment area includes more neighbourhoods than just Carlington.)
- Parent and child programs, 1-6 years
- Homework clubs, after-school program
- Teen counseling and advocacy
- Senior exercise programs, senior choir
- Primary health care
- Crisis support
- Harm reduction services
- Housing support and financial assistance for utilities
- Free and confidential counseling for individuals or families
- Good Food Box (buying fruit/vegetables in bulk)
- Employment aid/support
- Free dental services
City Councillor Meetings
Riley Brockington (https://rileybrockington.ca/) is the City Councillor for River Ward, which Carlington is a part of. He appears frequently at CCA meetings and also regularly holds other meetings to update Carlington residents on current and future development projects, changes to local roads and transit routes, etc.
He writes reports about issues in Carlington; we post them as soon as we receive them.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetables available locally:
- Ottawa Good Food Box, 900 Merivale Road (order a box of fresh fruit and vegetables once a month, pick them up at the Carlington Community Health Centre. See Ordering.)
- Mobile Market Ottawa, Caldwell Gymnasium, 1520 Caldwell Avenue | 613.580.2424, ex. 32629 (A truck comes every Thursday, from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. Cash or debit accepted. Bring your own shopping bags. See Schedule.)
- Quickie Convenience Store, 1435 Caldwell Avenue (Ottawa Public Health has designated this convenience store as a “Good Food Corner Store” which means that it sells a good selection of fruits and vegetables.)
J.A. Dulude Arena
941 Clyde Avenue | 613.798.1716
- Ice hockey
Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver Street
- Built by local residents, this mini-library is on a Take-One-Leave-One basis.
Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
- Volunteers help keep people and their pets together during difficult times.
- Their services include: food, information, supplies and grooming.
- They have a list of pet-related links and emergency phone numbers.
- Gain access to a fleet of cars across Ottawa: reserve at a low cost for a half-hour, an hour, a day or longer. The cars are available 24/7. Take them to the local grocery store or anywhere in North America!
- Carlington location: Best Western (1274 Carling Avenue at Merivale)
- Special deals with OC Transpo and VIA Rail for combined car-sharing and public transportation.
- Members also have access to car-sharing networks in Gatineau, Kingston, Toronto, Waterloo/Hamilton, Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke.
Three ways to always keep up-to-date on the latest events and activities:
1. Follow us:
2. CCA Emailing List:
3. Bookmark our Events page and check it often.
Recent Blog Posts...
Revisions have been made to the April 18, 2017, version of the CCA By-Laws. These revisions will be voted on at the next AGM on May 25, 2021.
Several Board members are finishing their terms, so the CCA is looking for community members to stand for election at the next Annual General Meeting (May 25, 2021).
Make an appointment before March 31 to drop off your income tax documents (at various locations).
Six Zoom sessions on Saturdays, from 9:30 to 10:00 a.m. The sessions are FREE, but registration is required. (March 13 to April 24, 2021)
Wednesday, March 10, from 6:00-7:00 p.m.: A dietician from Carlington Community Health is giving a free presentation and a food demo. Every participant receives a Good Food Box and is entered to win a gift basket.
Riley covered over 15 different topics in his report, as well as answering questions on various issues.
Thursday, February 11, the CCA held a Workshop to find out what impact the Official Plan could have on Carlington.
Join our City Councillor, Riley Brockington, virtually between 7:00 and 9:00 p.m. RSVP required!
Congratulations to Jon Ruby, founder of the social enterprise, Carlington Booch.
Please register in advance for meeting being held from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Zoom.
Register for a Zoom Virtual Workshop on this issue, to be held Thursday, February 11, 2021, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
The CCA Board met “in camera” to discuss the development plans for 1110 Fisher Avenue. A motion was put forward and approved.