Activities, Programs & Resources
Our website is intended to be a useful way for you to find out everything there is to know about what Carlington has to offer all residents. Follow us on social media and/or sign up for the CCA newsletter to keep up-to-date on these and new resources.
- Alexander Community Centre
- Bike Repair Station
- Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
- CCA Events (Carlington Cup, Family Fun Day, Yard and Plant Sale)
- Carlington Arts Initiative
- Carlington Recreation Centre
- Carlington Community Chaplaincy
- Community Garden
- Community Health Centre
- City Councillor Meetings
- Good Food Corner Store Initiative
- J.A. Dulude Arena
- Mini Library
- Mobile Market Ottawa
- Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
- VRTUcar (car-sharing)
Alexander Community Centre
960 Silver Street | 613.798.8978 | email: Alexander@ottawa.ca
- Mini-library (just outside front door)
- Wide range of programs for children and youth, many free.
- after school programs, homework club
- computer and homework room,
- various sports and leagues, summer camps.
- Programs for adults and seniors
- Has a variety of rooms to rent, each with a 46-inch flat screen television and surround sound system. The spacious main hall seats 100 and has an attached kitchen.
Bike Repair Station
Located in Alexander Park, close to Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver St.
- Includes a stand for your bike, tools to help change a tire, patch a tire and pump up your tires
Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
Location 1: Tuesdays, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., 1520 Caldwell Avenue
Location 2: Wednesdays, 2:15-3:00 p.m., Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver St.
- Books, DVDs, magazines and more
- Pick up your Hold items
- Return/borrow material
- Get or renew a Library card
- Material in French, English and other…
Carlington Arts Initiative
Based in the Carlington area, CAI is a hub for many creative groups organizing arts-related activities, which include crafts, painting, music, dance, yoga — anything and everything.
- Participation in events is free, or on a pay-what-you-can basis, for Carlington residents.
- If you participate in an art-related activity, contact CAI to find like-minded individuals.
Carlington Recreation Centre
1520 Caldwell Avenue | 613.798.8920
- Before- and after-school programs
- March break camps
- Summer camps
- Children’s and youth programs
Carlington Community Chaplaincy
102-1465 Caldwell Avenue | 613.728.9933 | http://www.carlingtonchaplaincy.com/
- Provides a range of hospitality and arts-based programs for residents in Carlington
- Daily drop-in (Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- A studio space for artists
- Cooking classes
- Special-interest classes and groups
Carlington Community Garden
- Located at corner of Woodward Avenue and McBride Street
- More plots will be built in the near future.
Carlington Community Health Centre
Subscribe to the CCHC newletter to be informed of all their activities. (Note: the CCHC’s catchment area includes more neighbourhoods than just Carlington.)
- Parent and child programs, 1-6 years
- Homework clubs, after-school program
- Teen counselling and advocacy
- Senior exercise programs, senior choir
- Primary health care
- Crisis support
- Harm reduction services
- Housing support and financial assistance for utilities
- Free and confidential counselling for individuals or families
- Good Food Box (buying fruit/vegetables in bulk)
- Employment aid/support
City Councillor Meetings
Riley Brockington (https://rileybrockington.ca/) is the City Councillor for River Ward, which Carlington is a part of. He appears frequently at CCA meetings and also regularly holds other meetings to update Carlington residents on current and future development projects, changes to local roads and transit routes, etc.
He writes reports about issues in Carlington; we post them as soon as we receive them.
Good Food Corner Store Initiative
Quickie Convenience Store, 1435 Caldwell Avenue
- Ottawa Public Health has designated this convenience store as a “Good Food Corner Store” which means that it sells a good selection of fruits and vegetables.
J.A. Dulude Arena
941 Clyde Avenue | 613.798.1716
- Ice hockey
Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver Street
- Built by local residents, this mini-library is on a Take-One-Leave-One basis.
Mobile Market Ottawa
Caldwell Gymnasium, 1520 Caldwell Avenue | 613.580.2424, ex. 32629
- Every second Thursday, from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
- Schedule: http://www.marketmobileottawa.ca/schedule
- Cash or debit accepted
- Bring your own shopping bags.
Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
- Volunteers help keep people and their pets together during difficult times.
- Their services include: food, information, supplies and grooming.
- They have a list of pet-related links and emergency phone numbers.
- Gain access to a fleet of cars across Ottawa: reserve at a low cost for a half-hour, an hour, a day or longer. The cars are available 24/7. Take them to the local grocery store or anywhere in North America!
- Carlington location: Best Western (1274 Carling Avenue at Merivale)
- Special deals with OC Transpo and VIA Rail for combined car-sharing and public transportation.
- Members also have access to car-sharing networks in Gatineau, Kingston, Toronto, Waterloo/Hamilton, Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke.
Three ways to always keep up-to-date on the latest events and activities:
1. Follow us:
2. CCA Monthly Newsletter:
3. Bookmark this page and check it often.
Recent Blog Posts...
Federal Election Debates
Ottawa Centre Wednesday September 25 and Tuesday October 15
Ottawa West-Nepean Thursday September 26
City of Ottawa Housing Review which examines options for for regulating short-term rental services such as Airbnb and VRBO.read more
Fall Programs at Alexander Community Centreread more
Presentation by Heather Douglas of SafeGrowth Project for Meadowvale Terrace Parkread more
Nelson Coyle receives Carlington Community Health Centre Achievement Awardread more
August 15 is the 2nd annual Shakespeare in the Park – Romeo + Juliet – from A Company of Fools preceded by a BBQ courtesy of Councillor Brockingtonread more
Free community BBQ 4:00-6:00 pm; meeting starts at 6:00 pmread more
Do you have any ideas for Public Art in Richmond Byron O-Train Stage 2read more
Thank you to all the CCA members who attended the 2019 AGM. The guest speaker was Community Constable Dawn Neillyread more
Have an idea for a community project, event or workshop? Apply now for funding from the Second Annual Carlington Community Grant.read more
What is NEW in Carlington? A coffee shop? Opening in the Fall of 2019 the Carlington Coffee House!read more
On Sat, June 1, Carlington’s community yard sales are taking place.read more