Activities, Programs & Resources
Our website is intended to be a useful way for you to find out everything there is to know about what Carlington has to offer all residents. Follow us on social media and/or sign up for the CCA Emailing List to keep up-to-date on these and new resources.
- Alexander Community Centre
- Bike Repair Station
- Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
- Caldwell Family Centre
- CCA Events (Carlington Cup, Family Fun Day, Yard and Plant Sale)
- Carlington Recreation Centre
- Carlington Community Chaplaincy
- Community Garden
- Community Health Centre
- Car-sharing (Communauto)
- City Councillor for Carlington
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Available Locally
- J.A. Dulude Arena
- Ottawa Outdoor Gear Library
- Ottawa Tool Library
- Mini Libraries
- Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
Alexander Community Centre
- Mini-library (just outside front door)
- Wide range of programs for children and youth, many free.
- after school programs, homework club
- computer and homework room,
- various sports and leagues, summer camps.
- Programs for adults and seniors
- Has a variety of rooms to rent, each with a 46-inch flat screen television and surround sound system. The spacious main hall seats 100 and has an attached kitchen.
Bike Repair Station
In Alexander Park, close to Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver St. (map)
- Includes a bike stand, tools to help change a tire, patch a tire and pump up your tires
- City of Ottawa map of locations of all bike repair stations
Bookmobile (Ottawa Public Library)
- Books, DVDs, magazines and more
- Pick up your Hold items
- Return/borrow material
- Get or renew a Library card
- Material in French, English and other…
Caldwell Family Centre
- Drop in Centre
- Food Bank, meals and snacks, cooking program
- Christmas Hampers
- Baby supplies and toy library for kids 1-4 years
- School backpack program, after-school program, summer day camp
- Clothing program
- Sewing program
Carlington Recreation Centre
1520 Caldwell Avenue (map) | 613.798.8920
- Before- and after-school programs
- March break camps
- Summer camps
- Children’s and youth programs
Carlington Community Chaplaincy
- Provides a range of hospitality and arts-based programs for residents in Carlington
- Daily drop-in (Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 11 a.m.)
- A studio space for artists
- Cooking classes
- Special-interest classes and groups
- Pastoral Care
Carlington Community Health Centre
Subscribe to the CCHC newletter to be informed of all their activities. (Note: the CCHC’s catchment area includes more neighbourhoods than just Carlington.)
- Parent and child programs, 1-6 years
- Homework clubs, after-school program
- Teen counseling and advocacy
- Senior exercise programs, senior choir
- Primary health care
- Crisis support
- Harm reduction services
- Housing support and financial assistance for utilities
- Free and confidential counseling for individuals or families
- Good Food Box (buying fruit/vegetables in bulk)
- Employment aid/support
- Free dental services
Website: https://ontario.communauto.com/ | 613-798-1900
- Gain access to a fleet of cars across Ottawa: reserve at a low cost for a half-hour, an hour, a day or longer. The cars are available 24/7. Take them to the local grocery store or anywhere in North America!
- Carlington location: Best Western (1274 Carling Avenue at Merivale)
- Special deals with OC Transpo and VIA Rail for combined car-sharing and public transportation.
- Members also have access to car-sharing networks in Gatineau, Kingston, Toronto, Waterloo/Hamilton, Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke.
City Councillor for Carlington
Riley Brockington (rileybrockington.ca/) is the City Councillor for River Ward, which Carlington is a part of. He appears frequently at CCA meetings (his reports are posted on the CCA websiste) and also regularly holds other meetings to update Carlington residents on current and future development projects, changes to local roads and transit routes, etc.
Go to his website to sign up for monthly newsletters.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetables available locally:
- Good Food on the Move: Order fresh fruit and vegetables online every week from Wednesday 9:00 a.m. to Monday 9:00 a.m. Your order will be available for pick-up Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. at 900 Merivale (Carlington Community Health Centre: map). Phone orders also accepted. Home Delivery: $20.
- Quickie Convenience Store, 1435 Caldwell Avenue (map): Ottawa Public Health has designated this convenience store as a “Good Food Corner Store” which means that it sells a good selection of fruits and vegetables.
J.A. Dulude Arena
941 Clyde Avenue (map) | 613.798.1716
- Ice hockey
- Alexander Community Centre, 960 Silver Street, just outside the front door
- Pleasure Park, across the street from 1485 Caldwell Avenue
- Stevenson Avenue, near Crerar Avenue
- McBride Street, near Woodward Avenue
- Laperriere Avenue, between McBride and Larkin
- Kingston Avenue, just north of Hollington Street
Ottawa Outdoor Gear Library
- A non-profit, volunteer-driven organization whose goal is to enable more people to enjoy the benefits of being active outdoors, and to reduce barriers to access nature in the City.
- They want individuals and groups to borrow equipment with as few barriers as possible, so fees are pay-as-you-can.
- Donations of your time or of equipment are very welcome.
Ottawa Tool Library
- A non-profit organization that provides tools, expertise and a workspace for projects.
- Borrow tools to bring home or work on your project in their workspace.
- Subscribe to their newsletter to find out about free events such as Repair Cafés, Demo Nights and Workshops for all ages.
- Their Tinkering School teaches children 8-12 tool skills for the next generation of do-it-yourselfers.
- Donations of your time or of tools are very welcome.
- They rely on memberships and sponsors for funding.
Pet Resource Bank Ottawa
- Volunteers help keep people and their pets together during difficult times.
- Their services include: food, information, supplies and grooming.
- They have a list of pet-related links and emergency phone numbers.
Three ways to always keep up-to-date on the latest events and activities:
1. Follow us:
2. CCA Emailing List:
3. Bookmark our Events page and check it often.
Recent Blog Posts...
Every second and fourth Monday each month, from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., hot meals are available at 1180 Shillington Avenue.
Book your appointment for a Moderna vaccine now. Health Centre is located at 900 Merivale Avenue.
Our City Councillor, Riley Brockington, wants our opinions on how best to allocate his funding towards community benefits. Survey Deadline: Sunday, July 25, 2021
There are three draft concepts: pick and choose what you like and what you don’t like.
If you are a River Ward resident, contact the office of our City Councillor, Riley Brockington, to schedule your rides.
Find out what our local businesses are giving as prizes for the draw at the end of the Hunt.
If you’re 55+, enjoy live outdoor concerts every Wednesday afternoon, starting July 21, at the Carlington Community Health Centre.
Get a vaccine at a drop-in clinic or move up your September and October vaccine appointments.
To be set up shortly, the lanes will be from Sherwood Avenue to Cambridge Street South.
Starting with Lepage, between Cavan and Larkin Streets, work will start at the end of July/beginning of August 2021.
Road work starts mid-July and is scheduled to end October 31, 2021.
Tour organized by the Friends of the Central Experimental Farm. Registration required (limit of 20 people).