City Councillor Catherine McKenney has put a motion before City council to declare a housing emergency in Ottawa.
As a resident of Carlington, you can support this motion by signing the on-line petition.
More information can be found below and at: Addressing the Housing Emergency.
Here are some details about the Petition:
Petition: Declare a Housing Emergency
We call on Ottawa City Council to adopt Councillor McKenney’s Housing Emergency motion which:
- declares an affordable housing and homelessness emergency in Ottawa;
- acknowledges that we do not possess the resources to manage this crisis alone and that we must call on the Provincial and Federal governments to assist us by providing the City with an immediate increase in emergency funding for housing, housing supports and housing allowances as well as a long-term financial plan to meet the needs of the community;
- resolves that the update to the ten-year housing and homelessness plan includes aggressive targets to:
- preserve and increase the affordable housing supply;
- increase access to housing affordability;
- prevent the occurrence of homelessness and eliminate by 100 per cent chronic homelessness by 2024; and
- ensure people are supported to achieve housing stability and long-term housing retention.
As a resident of Carlington you can support this motion by signing the petition if you wish.
More details are here:
The Carlington Community Board of Directors.