Carlington Community Association
Minutes of the General Meeting
January 9, 2007
Jeanne Burgess (President), Wendy Vasbinder (Vice President), Gerald Fitzgerald (Secretary), Linda Dodd (Treasurer), Glenn Carr (Director), Michael Kostiuk (Director) and 7 members.
Pat Murphy, Jeannie Page
Adoption of the Agenda:
MOTION: To adopt a revised agenda with the presentation by Fair Vote Canada to be the first item followed by the CouncilorÂ’s Report.
Moved Â–Michael Kostiuk, Seconded Â– Grace ---------------, Carried
Presentation by Fair Vote Canada (FVC):
The goal of FVC is to change the voting system in Canada to make it more representative. Jeannie Page gave a presentation outlining the rational for adopting a new voting format. The Ontario CitizenÂ’s Assembly will be Ottawa over the next 2 weeks to review the voting system in Ontario. Information can be obtained at www.CitizensAssembly.gov.ca, www.fairvote.ca and www.geting to the gate.com.
Pat Murphy presented MariaÂ’s report.
- Maria wishes everyone a happy and healthy New Year.
- Carling Avenue Â– McCormack Rankin has been contracted to conduct a study for the upgrade of Carling Avenue from Kirkwood to Bronson. The work will be done if money is available in the budget. There will be modifications to the intersection at Merivale Rd. and some bus bays will be removed. Public open house sessions will be schedules soon.
- The Ottawa Police Tactical Unit is using the former Turpin property for training before the building is demolished.
- Pedestrian Crossing Signal Â– at Fisher and Tunis is being investigated and a report will be coming.
- Christmas Lights Tour for seniors was very successful.
- ROH signage is under investigation.
- OC Transpo acknowledges that there is overcrowding on Route 14.
- Speeding on Carling Avenue was sent to the Police for enforcement.
- City Budget Â– It will be before City Council tomorrow to approve the direction. Final approval will be on February 28th. The details are in MariaÂ’s report.
- Curb cuts at the ROH are now done.
- Pedestrian Crossing at the ROH Â– A traffic specialists looking at the issue and needs sketches. Mike Kostiuk pointed out that alignment of carling Ave. and the median are not really a past usage issue. The ROH has a new mandate and this impacts on pedestrian crossing Carling Ave. We are really looking at a new usage. Mike will work up a summary of the issues and send it to Pat.
Integrated Road Safety
- November - tailgating 55 charges, red light running 509 charges
- December Â–police did ride checks working with MADD and focused on impaired driving and speeding.
- January Â– the focus will be following too close and red light running.
Long Range Financial Plan Â– the City has a gap in funding for capital projects.
Maria is on several committees - Transportation (Chair), Transit, Corporate Services and economic Development, Rideau Valley Conservation Authority, and Tourism
Questions and Comments:
- Annie Woo asked about the status of the OTrain. Pat replied that it is dead and that the Mayor is implementing a committee to look at it.
- Jonathan Bishop pointed out that there are no traffic control signs at the corner of Vale and Kingston. This is a safety issue.
- There was a pedestrian crossing study done at the corner of Tunis and Fisher in June. 98 pedestrians crossed and 57 waited only 30 seconds. We would like the survey done when university is in session.
- Grace commented that handicapped people find that they cannot get wheelchair accessible taxis when they need them. Pat replied that the city will be selling more licenses for Para taxis and that Para taxis will have GPS units in them...
Approval of the Minutes:
MOTION: To approve the minutes of November 14, 2006.
Moved - Gerald Fitzgerald, Seconded Â– Michael Kostiuk, Carried
MOTION: To approve the minutes of December 12, 2006.
Moved Â– Gerald Fitzgerald, Seconded Â– Grace ---------- , Carried
- Jeanne has been invited to a meeting on Thursday with David Gibbons who is the Community Outreach Officer in the MayorÂ’s office. She will use the 2 Year Plan as a basis for her discussions with him.
- Community Design Plan (CDP) - There was general discussion on this issue and members felt that we should pursue the CDP so as to take a proactive approach with City Hall. We do not want piecemeal action on issues and we would prefer to take a positive position regarding how residents would like the area to develop rather than having to take a negative stance and fight ideas that are being imposed on the community. We also felt that we should coordinate our work with Kitchissippi residents for issues regarding Carling Avenue. Maria has a particular interest in how Merivale Road is developed.
- Winter Carnival is on January 27th. We will be sponsoring an activity/games for children from 10:00 Â– 12:00 at the wading pool. Linda will get prizes and Deirdre will get the mini-putt equipment.
- Spring Garage and Plant Sale Â– We will need a leader for this project. We will need to advertise the event and will need reusable signage to put out around the area. Wendy knows a person who is in the sign business and can get information. Deirdre will call a meeting to plan the event.
- Community Design Plan
MOTION: That the Carlington Community Association strikes a committee to develop a Community Design Plan for Carlington.
Moved Â– David Darwin, Seconded - Wendy Vasbinder, Carried.
MOTION: That Wendy Vasbinder, David Spackman, Mike Kostiuk, and Jerry Fitzgerald be appointed to establish a Terms of Reference and Operating Procedures for the Community Design Plan Committee and that these be presented at the March General Meeting of the Carlington Community Association.
Moved - David Darwin, Seconded Â– Cindy Long, Carried
- Nominating Committee
MOTION: To establish a nominating Committee for the elections to be held at the AGM in May with David Darwin as Chair, Grace ----- and a third person to be appointed by the chair.
Moved Â– Jerry Fitzgerald, Seconded Â– Wendy Vasbinder, Carried
- Federation of CitizenÂ’s Associations - The meeting of the FCA is tomorrow in Hintonburg. Mike Kostiuk will attend.
MOTION: To renew our membership in the Federation of CitizenÂ’s Associations.
Moved Â– Mike Kostiuk, Seconded Â– David Darwin, Carried.
- Logo Â– Cindy and Deirdre have been working on designs for a CCA logo. They presented 3 concepts for discussion. There was a discussion on preferences and members generally liked a concept that was a blend of 2 ideas that were put forward. Cindy and Deirdre will work to further refine the concept for presentation to the membership.
- TreasurerÂ’s report Â– The Treasurer was asked to prepare a report for the next meeting.
Adjournment of the meeting:
MOTION: To adjourn the meeting.
Moved - David Darwin, Seconded Â– Glenn Carr, Carried.